· I am very happy and privileged today, to be inducted as the Patron of the Mizoram Bharat Scouts & Guides Association. I am not a stranger to the Scouts & Guides Movement, because while I was a school student, I stood as a scout member and attended camp as well. I am also particularly happy to see that my Secretary is an active participant in this noble movement.
· The Scouts & Guides, as we all know, is a voluntary, non-political, educational movement for the youth, which was founded by Lord Baden Powell in 1907. A wonderful thing about this movement is that it is open to all without distinction on the basis of race, religion or language. Thus, it follows the spirit of our Constitution that there should be no discrimination on such basis.
· I have learned that the Scouts & Guides is a popular movement here in the State of Mizoram. The society itself out here has a very strong civic sense and a sense of community. I am happy to learn that that the Scouts & Guides movement has been contributing positively in various ways.
· As the central theme of this Movement is Good Citizenship, I urge the leaders to continue imparting moral and ethical values to the youth for their all-round development. I am happy that our Fundamental Principles include Duty to God, Duty to Others and Duty to Self. These are the hallmarks of a good citizen as a constructive member of the society.
· I am pained to notice that in Mizoram, we are plagued with the problems of substance abuse and high incidences of lifestyle diseases. I am sure that the Scouts & Guides Movement will continue to take all possible measures in order to save the youth from these various problems.
· Once again, I am very thankful to the Mizoram Bharat Scouts & Guides Association for inducting me as the Patron, and I look forward to working with you as we attempt to mould our youth to continue being responsible citizens.
· KA LAWM E.
· Jai Hind.