·Special Guest of Honour Dr.G.Sateesh Reddy, Chairman, DRDO
· Prof. KRS Sambasiva Rao, Vice Chancellor
· Prof. R.P Vadhera, Pro Vice Chancellor
· Sh. Zothankhuma IDAS, Registrar
· Prof. Lalnuntluanga, Controller of Examinations
· Faculty and staff of Mizoram University
· My dear students
- Mizoram University Convocation vawi sawmpathum naah, Khuallian ni a thu ka sawi thei hi, lawmawm ka ti hle a ni. (It gives me great pleasure to address the 13th Convocation of the Mizoram University as the Chief Guest.)
- It is with great pride that I congratulate all the successful students who have been conferred their degrees, gold medals and prizes. I also congratulate all the teaching and non-teaching staff of the University, who have played crucial roles for the success of these wonderful students.
- My dear friends, today is a happy occasion for the students, the parents, the teachers and the University. Having been established only as recently as the year 2000, Mizoram University has made remarkable achievements in the last 18 years. The University has been accredited Grade ‘A’ by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) for the period 2014 to 2019. According to the National Institution Ranking Framework (NIRF), it has been ranked 81 amongst 700 Universities for the year 2018. All these achievements have come about due to the hard work and dedication of everyone concerned with the University.
- While expressing my appreciation for all these remarkable achievements, I wish to state that the University, and indeed the students gathered here today, can still do so much more for the State of Mizoram. We all know that here in Mizoram, we are blessed with abundant natural resources. However, we have not been able to successfully tapp these resources. The State has tremendous potential in the field of agriculture, horticulture, food processing, handloom and handicrafts, etc. In order to fully realize our potential, the educated youth have to stand up and take the lead as innovative entrepreneurs. The people of this State look to you with great hope, my dear friends, to take us to greater heights of prosperity.
- Getting a degree in academics is a wonderful achievement. However, I must warn you that having degrees is not the end. In fact, it is just the beginning. It was Norman Cousins who said, “It makes little difference how many university courses or degrees a person may own. If he cannot use words to move an idea from one point to another, his education is incomplete”. This statement must inspire you to become agents of positive change in society. You will not be measured on the number of degrees that you hold, but rather on the contribution that you make to the community and your fellow human beings. You must make practical use of your knowledge and learning to provide solutions to the various problems afflicting society.
- Munshi Premchand, the celebrated writer, had correctly remarked that, “To be successful in life what you need is education, not literacy and degrees”. I am certain you will all agree that while this statement is not an attempt to downplay the importance of degrees, it rather highlights the importance of complete and all-round education. With today’s conferment of your degrees, you have become important citizens of society as educated youth, and I reiterate that we look to you to take the State of Mizoram and the Nation of India towards a bright future.
- It is always a pleasure to spend time and exchange ideas with the vibrant youth. Youth is a time for vigour, energy and ideals, devoid of cynicism. For any society, progress only comes along the path that the youth choose to take. Therefore, as educated youth, you are at the vanguard of society. You must take your role very seriously and with great responsibility. You have your whole lives ahead of you, with the world at the palm of your hands. It is up to you to make the right choices.
- I once again congratulate all the students and the University of this joyous Convocation. As I end my address, I leave you with this anonymous quote, “”The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.”
- KA LAWM E
- Jai Hind
- Loading attachment...