Greetings on this auspicious day of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas – 2018
‘Rastriya Ekta Diwas’, the “National Unity Day” is being observed in the country to commemorate the Birth Anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel on 31st October, 2018. As you may be aware, Rashtriya Ekta Diwas was first observed on 31st October 2014 to commemorate the 139th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. The Day was inaugurated by Shri Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister who paid floral tributes at the statue of Sardar Patel and also flagged off the Run For Unity in New Delhi. From 2014, the Day is celebrated on 31st October every year as annual commemoration of the birthday of the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who was one of the founding leaders of Republic of India, and who was instrumental in keeping India united.
2. Sardar Patel was born on 31 October, 1875 at Karamsand, Gujarat. He was a barrister with a successful law practice, before joining the Indian national movement under Mahatma Gandhi. He played a major role in organizing peasants’ movements in Kheda and Bardoli in Gujarat, and during the Quit India Movement. His biggest contribution to India was his role in the integration of over 500 princely states with India during 1947-49 as the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of India. He is known as the ‘Iron Man of India’ and he is remembered as the man who united India. Patel was considered a statesman of integrity with the practical acumen and resolve to accomplish a monumental task. Sardar Patel played a pivotal role in the merger of princely states with British ruled India to form a sovereign united country called India.
3. Sardar Patel is also remembered as the Patron Saint of India’s Civil Servants for establishing a modern All India services. He was also instrumental in the creation of the All India Services which he described as the country’s “Steel Frame”. He, more than anyone else in the post-independence India, realized the crucial role that civil services play in administering a country, not only in maintaining law and order, but running the institutions that provide the binding cement to a society. He was aware of the needs of a sound and stable administrative structure as the lynchpin of a functioning polity. The present-day all-India administrative services owe their origin to the man’s sagacity and thus he is regarded as Father of modern All India Services.
4. The main Objective of the Commemoration of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas is to create awareness among the people about Sardar Patel’s contribution towards India’s freedom struggle and ensuring national integration in India. It will also reaffirm the inherent strength and resilience of our nation to withstand the actual and potential threats to the unity, integrity and security of our country.
5. Arrangements have been made to celebrate the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31st October, 2018 in the country. Several events are scheduled to be held by various Ministries of the Government of India, PSUs and Organisations across the country. In the national capital New Delhi and all over the States, people will take a pledge to protect the unity and integrity of India and participate in the Run for Unity programme. In Delhi, the Run will be organised from Major Dhynachand Stadium on 31st October at 7 AM. It will be flagged off by the Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh. The Home Minister will also pay floral tributes at the statue of Sardar Patel in the Parliament Street.
6. An important event of this year’s celebration will be in Gujarat where the Hon’ble Prime Minister will inaugurate the Statue of Unity on the river island called Sadhu Bet near Rajpipla in Gujarat. The monument along with its surroundings occupies over 20,000 square metres, and is surrounded by a 12 square km artificial lake. world’s tallest statue with the height of 182 metres.
7. In Mizoram State, the main event of the celebration is in Aizawl, the State capital. A Run for Unity was organized today at 7:00 AM starting from Sikulpuikawn and Chanmari and converged at this A.R Ground (Lammual). The Chief Secretary had flagged off the Rally from Sikulpuikawn and the Commissioner & Secretary, School Education flagged off the Rally from Chanmari. We are now holding the main event of ‘Rastriya Ekta Diwas’ Pledge Taking Ceremony at AR Ground (Lammual) which is being attended by Government officials, Armed Forces, Students, NSS, Scouts & Guides, etc. In the District Hqtrs., pledge taking will be organized by the Deputy Commissioners with heads of offices in the Districts.
8. On this auspicious occasion, let us reaffirm our resolve to uphold the unity, integrity and security of our country.