The Government of Mizoram hosted the 4th Meeting of the Expert Consultative Committee (ECC) organised by the Indian Jute Industries Research Association (IJIRA), an organisation of the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India. Pu Zothankuma, IAS, Director of Industries chaired the Meeting. Representatives from the state of Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura attended the meeting. Apart from representatives of North Eastern states, the Chairman, Power Loom Development and Export Promotion Council (PDEXCIL), Director with other officials of IJIRA, senior Executive of Central Silk Board, NEDFi and Entrepreneurs from Mizoram also attended the Meeting.
In brief, the following decisions were taken by the Meeting -
• A separate policy need to be formulated and evolved for the entire North Eastern Region on the promotion and development of Textiles and Garment manufacturing.
• On the basis of such separate policy, Detailed Project Report (DPR) needs to be evolved for funding by the Central Government to be sourced through IJIRA or PDEXCIL as the case may be.
• IJIRA and or PDEXCIL may evolve Integrated Skill Development Programme for the first generation entrepreneur of the North Eastern state through hands-on training in the machine manufacturer premises as well as by conducting study tours within the country and abroad.
• The meeting appreciated the offer of the Chairman, PDEXCIL to request Joint Secretary, Powerlooms, Ministry of Textiles to participate in the next meeting which may be hosted by Assam or Arunachal Pradesh as may be decided by IJIRA in consultation with the concerned states.
• The meeting also appreciated the efforts taken by Silk Mark Organisation of India, Regional Office of Central Silk Board In bringing out organic Silk Mark Scheme.