Mizoram Health Minister Dr.R. Lalthangliana, in his statement yesterday, clarified on the recent reports of two Mizos testing positive for COVID-19 in Mumbai and Shillong.
The new positive COVID-19 case in Mumbai happens to be a breast cancer patient already undergoing treatment and had been admitted in the TATA Memorial Hospital on 12th April, 2020 (Sunday) afternoon at 2:00PM as she was to undergo operation the next day. However, as the patient developed fever at around 5:00 the same day, nasopharyngeal swab was duly taken and the result came out positive in the morning at 6:00AM yesterday, ie. 13th April, 2020 (Monday).
Thereafter, the patient was transferred at around 6:30PM yesterday evening itself from the TATA Memorial Hospital to the ICU Ward in St. George’s Hospital, Mumbai, which is solely dedicated for Covid treatment. Since last night, however, the patient has not showed any further Covid symptoms and as her physical condition also continues to be stable, she is likely to be shifted out of ICU to a private ward. Nasopharyngeal swab has been re-done and her second result expected to be known soon.
The Health Minister, on hearing the news of a positive Mizo COVID-19 case in Mumbai, had spoken with the Chief Secretary Pu Lalnunmawia Chuaungo, who at once contacted the concerned Mumbai officials as well as the Mizoram House management staff. The Mumbai Mizoram House and its surroundings were also thoroughly sprayed with disinfectant on Monday evening itself.
Presently, the Mumbai Mizoram House is accomodating 16 cancer patients with 32 attendees, ie. 48 persons altogether. The Mumbai Municipal Corporation Health officials conducted a thorough inspection of the House yesterday and also took nasopharyngeal swabs of all the 22 persons who shared dormitory with the COVID patient. None of the samples taken yesterday of the other patients and their attendees have as yet turned out positive for COVID till now.
Health Minister Dr R.Lalthangliana also spoke to Dr CS Pramesh, Director of Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, who assured him that treatment of all the other Mizo cancer patients will be continued depending on the results of their swab tests.
Further clarifying on the rumours that the husband of the COVID patient had also contracted the disease, the Health Minister said that he had personally spoken to the man and was informed that it was untrue, and that the medical experts had ruled out any need for doing tests on him unless he showed evident COVID symptoms.
The state government has also traced out all 11 persons who had returned to Mizoram from Mumbai Mizoram House after 15th March, 2020. As of now, none of them have shown any suspicious symptoms but have been instructed to maintain strict quarantine in their homes for at least a week.
The Health Minister, on getting news of another Mizo showing positive for COVID-19, this time in Shillong, had at once contacted the authorities at the Bethany Hospital and NEIGHRIMS Hospital, where the patient himself worked as a doctor. The Minister was informed that the patient was doing well and was admitted in the private ward of Bethany Hospital and not put in ICU care. He also sent out assurances to the Mizos living in Shillong not to panic and that they should inform the government authorities immediately, in case they faced any hardships.
Speaking about the lone COVID patient being treated at the Zoram Medical College, the Health Minister said that he was showing good progress, and in fact, at 12:00 noon yesterday, his ventilator was removed and he was breathing normally again.
- Loading attachment...